May 23rd – May 29th, 2021
Lettuce markets are steady. Quality is good with minimal reports of misshapen heads, pinking, and discoloration.
The Leaf markets are steady. Quality is good.
Broccoli markets are steady. Quality is good.
Cauliflower markets are steady. Quality is good.
Carrot markets for Cello, Loose, and Value-added are steady. Quality is good.
Celery market continues to be steady. Quality is good.
Strawberries markets are lower with supplies being plentiful. Quality is good.
Potato market is up, freight has been contributing to rise in price. The Market on 40’s thru 70’s is moving up with big sizes getting tight. We are into the Burbank’s and quality looks good.
Onion market remains steady due to freight. Seeing some quality issues in the both the red and yellow onions.
Orange markets are still tightening up on 88ct and smaller. We are being prorated on 113ct and 138ct oranges. Lemon markets are up on all Choice and Fancy fruit. The lime market is seeing relief as the limes become more available. Quality has been good.
Cucumber market is active and we could see slight price increases. Quality has been good.
Green peppers are tight, and may get tighter as the south experiences hot weather. Small sized peppers are especially tight Quality has been good.
Production continues to be light overall, with Nogales finishing up in the West and Florida also having some field transition to Palmetto. Quality is good, pricing is higher.
Baked Pears with Cinnamon
- 6 ripe pears
- 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup (per half pear)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (per half pear)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Slice pears in half and gently scoop out the seeds using a small cookie scoop or spoon.
- Place the pears cut side up on a baking pan or in an oven-proof dish and drizzle each halve pear with 1/2 tsp maple syrup and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp sprinkle cinnamon.
- Bake until soft and tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm with your choice of toppings.